- nounany natural or prepared food popularly believed to promote good health• Members of this Topic: ↑organic
* * *noun: a food promoted as highly conducive to health
* * *any natural food popularly believed to promote or sustain good health, as by containing vital nutrients, being grown without the use of pesticides, or having a low sodium or fat content.[1880-85]
* * *health food nounFood thought to be particularly good for one's health, esp that grown and prepared without artificial fertilizers, chemical additives, etc• • •Main Entry: ↑health
* * *food that is good for you because it does not contain artificial substances
* * *health food,any one of certain foods to which special therapeutic properties are ascribed, especially by food faddists: »
The AMA warns…that the term “health food” is a misnomer because it implies curative properties (Maclean's).
* * *n. natural food that is thought to have health-giving qualities
* * *noun, pl ⋯ foods: a food that is believed to be good for your health : a food that has no artificial ingredients[noncount]
He eats only health food.
She shops at the health-food store.[count]
The restaurant offers a variety of health foods.
* * *food that does not contain any artificial substances and is therefore thought to be good for your health
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
health food — n [U and C] food that contains only natural substances, and that is good for your health … Dictionary of contemporary English
health food — health′ food n. coo pha any natural food popularly believed to promote or sustain good health, as through its vital nutrients • Etymology: 1880–85 … From formal English to slang
health food — ► NOUN ▪ natural food that is thought to have health giving qualities … English terms dictionary
health food — ☆ health food n. food considered to be especially healthful; often, specif., such food when organically grown and free of chemical additives … English World dictionary
health food — health ,food noun count or uncount * food that is good for you because it does not contain artificial substances … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
Health food — The term Health food has been used in the United States since the 1920s to refer to specific foods claimed to be especially beneficial to health. In contrast to a healthy diet, proponents of health foods claim that a specific food has good… … Wikipedia
health food */ — UK / US noun [countable/uncountable] Word forms health food : singular health food plural health foods food that is good for you because it does not contain artificial substances … English dictionary
health food — noun Health food is used before these nouns: ↑store … Collocations dictionary
health food — health foods N MASS: oft N n Health foods are natural foods without artificial ingredients which people buy because they consider them to be good for them. Syn: whole food … English dictionary
health food — food thought to be very healthful (i.e. food grown with natural fertilizers and free of additives) … English contemporary dictionary